We have recently launched GA4 (Google Analytics 4) support on the platform. Similar to our previous support for Universal Analytics, it includes custom events, page visits as well as other exciting features.
Here is a summary of the functionality:
- Our implementation of Google Analytics 4 is built on top of Google Tag Manager, so you will need a GTM account to leverage GA4 support on Grassrootz. For more information on how to set up GA4 via GTM to use on our platform, please view our dedicated help article here.
- The ability to add your own Google Tag Manager code, which can be different for each campaign.
- Generating pageview events for each page visited.
- E-Commerce integration for donations and ticket sales.
- Goal driven "pageview" events for donations, sales and fundraising page creation.
- A number of events to allow you to understand how end users are making use of fundraising pages and features on the platform.
- Our GTM -> GA4 integration includes:
- 2 custom triggers
- One for custom events being passed through to Google Analytics
- One to enable e-commerce support for financial transactions (donations, sales, etc) being added to GA.
- 3 custom variables (to showcase similar data as Universal Analytics allowed)
- 2 custom triggers
- Goal driven "pageview" events, for the main system transactions, example:
- When someone lands on the donation form (example link:https://example.grassrootz.com/grassrootz-fitness/donate) we will generate a "pageview" event on that page ("grassrootz-fitness/donate"), but if the donation is completed we will generate another "pageview" event for "grassrootz-fitness/donate/thankyou".
- When someone lands on the fundraising form (example link:https://example.grassrootz.com/grassrootz-fitness/join) we will generate a "pageview" event on that page ("grassrootz-fitness/join"), but if the registration is completed we will generate another "pageview" event for "grassrootz-fitness/join/thankyou".
- When someone lands on the sales form (example link:https://example.grassrootz.com/grassrootz-fitness/tickets) we will generate a "pageview" event on that page ("grassrootz-fitness/tickets"), but if the sales is completed we will generate another "pageview" event for "grassrootz-fitness/tickets/thankyou".
Custom platform events
A number of platform events are generated to help you understand how people are using the platform. For all events the following applies:
- Event category will be set as your Grassrootz campaign name.
- Event label will be the URL where the action took place.
- Event action will be set as per the table below.
|purchase||General event for any system transaction (Donation, Sale, Recurring donation, etc). This event is used for GA e-commerce integration.|
Donation form events
These events happen on the donation link for each fundraising page.
|donation_form_start||Raised when the form is loaded|
|donation_amount_selected||Raised after the first step is completed.|
|donation_details_entered||Raised after the second step is completed.|
|donation||Raised when the donation is successfully processed.|
|donation_payment_failed||Raised if the donation fails due to payment.|
|donation_thank_you_share||Raised when the fundraising page is shared at the donation thank you page.|
Fundraising page tour events
|tour_accepted||Raised if the user chooses to take the fundraising page tour.|
|tour_profile_image_changed||Raised if the avatar image for the fundraising page is changed during the tour.|
|tour_story_updated||Raised if the story for the fundraising page is changed during the tour.|
|tour_declined||Raised if the tour is closed.|
|tour_shared_page||Raised if the page is shared via the final page on the tour.|
Additionally, since the tour features a donation form, all the "Donation form events" are raised with a "Tour" prefix (e.g. "TourDonationFormStart").
Fundraising page activities
|blog_posted||Raised when the user posts an update on their page.|
|fitness_app_connected||Raised when any fitness app is connected to a fundraising page.|
|strava_connected||Raised when a Strava account is connected to a fundraising page.|
|fitbit_connected||Raised when a Fitbit account is connected to a fundraising page.|
|donation_replied||Raised when a donation receives a reply from the fundraiser.|
|page_fundraising_target_changed||Raised when a fundraiser changes the target amount in their page.|
|page_fitness_target_changed||Raised when a fundraiser changes the fitness target in their page.|
|page_updates_tab_clicked||Raised when someone clicks on the "Updates" tab in a fundraising page.|
|page_leaderboards_tab_clicked||Raised when someone clicks on the "Leaderboard" tab in a fundraising page.|
|page_donation_tab_clicked||Raised when someone clicks on the "Donations" tab in a fundraising page.|
Setting up a fundraising page
|join_form_start||Raised when the form is loaded.|
|join_account_completed||Raised when the account step is completed.|
|join_newsletter_opt_out||Raised if the fundraiser opts out of further comms during the login process.|
|join||Raised when a fundraising page is set up.|
During the ticketing/sale process
|sale_form_start||Raised when the first step is loaded.|
|sale_entry_ticket_selected||Raised when a entry/ticket selection is completed.|
|sale_entry_details_entered||Raised when the personal details step is fully completed.|
|sale_fundraising_details_selected||Raised when the fundraising details are completed.|
|sale_donation_opt_out||Raised if the user opted out of making a donation alongside the purchase.|
|sale_coupon_applied||Raised if a coupon is redeemed during the purchase.|
|sale_payment_failed||Raised if the payment failed during a sale.|
|sale||Raised when the sale is successfully processed.|
Additionally, since a fundraising page and/or donation may be also processed during a sale, the respective "join" and "donation" events will also be raised alongside the "sale" event.
Sharing events using the page widget
|page_widget_share||Raised when any of the sharing buttons are clicked on the main page widget.|
|page_widget_qr_requested||Raised when the QR share button is clicked.|
|page_widget_qr_downloaded||Raised when the QR code is downloaded via the "Download" button on the QR code window.|
|page_widget_link_copied||Raised when someone copies the link to their page using the main page widget.|
|page_widget_facebook_share||Raised when someone clicks the Facebook share button.|
|page_widget_twitter_share||Raised when someone clicks the Twitter share button.|
|page_widget_linked_in_share||Raised when someone clicks the LinkedIn share button.|
|page_widgetEmailShare||Raised when someone clicks the Email share button.|