On July 1, 2023, Google will be shutting down their standard Universal Analytics properties and you will no longer be able to track any data using your Universal Analytics (UA) properties in Grassrootz. Universal Analytics is being replaced by Google Analytics 4 (GA4), you can find more information about this change here.
To help make this transition as easy as possible for our customers and to enhance the tracking that we provide, we have added the ability to add a Google Tag Manager (GTM) container to your Grassrootz campaigns, which includes support for GA4.
You can follow the steps below to install GTM on your campaigns and track a variety of custom and e-commerce events from your fundraisers and donors.
Step 1: Add your GTM container ID to your Grassrootz campaigns
- Visit the campaigns tab in the Grassrootz admin
- Find the campaign you would like to add GTM to
- Click the three dots on the right hand side of the campaign, then click “Edit”
- Click the “Advanced” tab
- Scroll down to the “Tracking” section and find the field that says “Google Tag Manager”
- Copy and paste your GTM container ID into the field (The format should look something like GTM-XXXXXXX)
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click “Save all”
- Repeat this step for each campaign that you would like to track
If you have GA4 set up in your GTM account already and you follow these steps you will start to see some data flow through to your analytics account but you will not receive our extensive list of custom and e-commerce events to help you get the most out of your tracking. To get the full range of tracking you must complete step 2 below.
Step 2: Add Grassrootz configuration to your GTM account to enable custom and e-commerce events
Do you have an existing GA4 config tag in GTM?
If no, follow these steps:
- Download this JSON file
- Open the file and update “publicId” and “tagIds” to be your GTM container ID (The format should look something like GTM-XXXXXXX)
- Also, update the “measurementId” “value” to be your GA4 measurement ID (The format should look something like G-XXXXXXXXXX)
- Save your file
- Go to your Google Tag Manager account
- Click the “Admin” tab
- Click “Import Container”
- Click “Choose container file” and select the file you downloaded in step 1
- If you are using your existing workplace and you have tracking configured, ensure that you click Merge rather than Overwrite or you will lose your other tracking configuration
- Alternatively, create a new workspace for your Grassrootz configuration
- You can preview the changes that will be made, click “Confirm” when you are ready
- When the changes are complete, make sure you “Submit” your workplaces changes so that your tracking will apply
You should now start to see events flowing through to your Google Analytics account.
If you have an existing GA4 config tag in your GTM account, complete the above steps but then modify the two tags you have imported to use your existing configuration. Please see screenshots below for edits:
If you have any questions, just get in touch with our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help you get set up.