To get started with Tap’n’Donate you will need the below:
- A Stripe BBPOS WisePad™ 3 card reader
- An iPad or iPhone (with the latest version of iOS installed and WiFi)
- A Grassrootz account that is connected to Stripe
Step 1 - Purchase the Stripe BBPOS WisePad™ 3 card reader directly from Stripe (Skip this step if you already have enough Stripe card readers for your event)
Tap’n’Donate requires a Stripe BBPOS WisePad™ 3 card reader before you can start collecting donations. If you don’t have one, you can purchase one through your organisation's Stripe account and organise it to be delivered to you.
These devices are currently $89AUD each (paid directly to Stripe and subject to change) and one Stripe reader is required for each iPad or iPhone you would like to use to collect donations at your event.
As an example, if you have five team members or volunteers at your event that require their own iPhone or iPad to collect donations you will need to purchase five Stripe BBPOS WisePad™ 3 card readers.
Step 2 - Create your Grassrootz campaign
The Tap’n’Donate app works as an extension of an existing Grassrootz campaign. If you don’t have a Grassrootz campaign set up, follow these steps to set one up in just a few minutes.
All customisations and changes to your campaign will be reflected on the Tap’n’Donate app (excluding your custom dollar handle descriptions and images. These customisations will be supported in later app releases)
IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you have your Stripe card reader and Grassrootz campaign ready to go, you will need to contact the Grassrootz Team so they can connect your campaign to your Stripe device. To do this, please send the below information to firstname.lastname@example.org so our team can set this up and check you’re ready to start collecting donations.
- Reference the Stripe card reader/s serial number/s e.g WPC32026000748 (You can find this on the back of your Stripe card reader device)
- Your charity name
- A link to the Grassrootz campaign you want to connect to Tap ‘n’ Donate
Step 3. Download and install the Tap’n’Donate app
The Tap’n’Donate app is free to download from the Apple App Store. Follow the steps below to download it to your iOS device (iPhone or iPad).
- Open the Apple App Store on your iPhone or iPad
- In the search box enter ‘tap n donate’
- When you see the Tap’n’Donate app (pictured below) click on the ‘GET’ button to download it to your device
Step 4. Connect your Stripe card reader and Tap’n’Donate app to start collecting donations
When the Grassrootz team lets you know that your campaign has been connected to your Stripe reader you’re 99% ready to go! The final step is to connect your Stripe card reader with the Tap’n’Donate app and you’re ready to start collecting cashless donations.
How to connect your Stripe card reader and Tap’n’Donate app
- Make sure you have Bluetooth enabled on your iPhone or iPad and your Stripe card reader is charged
- Bring your iPhone or iPad and Stripe card reader together (side-by-side)
- Click the ‘on’ button on your Stripe card reader
- Open the Tap’n’Donate app and click the ‘GET STARTED’ button
- Select your Stripe card reader terminal number
- If your campaign is now visible on your iPhone or iPad you’re ready to start collecting donations.
To view all donations taken via Tap'n'Donate, download your donation report (Advanced File Format), scroll to the column labelled 'source' and filter for donations with the tap-n-donate label.
Stripe readers require regular updates from Stripe to ensure they work as expected. These updates will happen automatically but the Stripe reader needs to be powered on and connected via bluetooth to an iPad or iPhone to complete the updates. Grassrootz strongly recommends turning on your Tap’n’Donate devices (the IOS device and Stripe readers) the day/night before you will be using them to allow these updates to take place and not impact your ability to take donations the next day.