Grassrootz allows you to create fundraising pages for campaigns that have this feature enabled. However, if the number of pages you need to create is significant, then you may want to consider the bulk upload feature which can make the process of creating multiple fundraising pages a matter of seconds.
Accessing the bulk upload feature
To start, find the campaign you wish to add fundraising pages for and look at your current fundraising pages list. See below for a reference.
We start in the admin looking at the fundraisers for a campaign.
Next, click on the "Create page" button.
On the next page, seen below, there will be a button titled "Bulk upload". Click on it to get started.
Bulk uploading - file structure and things to know
When clicking on the bulk upload button, a modal window will appear providing instructions on how to use this feature.
The team at Grassrootz has worked hard to build a number of rich features into this module, including:
- The ability to create 3 types of pages: Fundraiser (Individual pages), Team and Collection pages (if they are being used in your campaign).
- You can assign a fundraising target amount to each page.
- You can enter the email address of the person that will manage/own the page (an email will be sent to this address to allow access to the page).
- Individual Fundraiser records only: you can assign a Team to link a page to, via its name.
- Team and Individual Fundraiser records only: you can assign a Collection page to link a page to, via its name.
- You can download an example file to facilitate understanding the structure and features available.
|Column name||Expected Value||Comments|
|PageName||<name of the page>||The name of the page to be created. Capped at 60 characters max.|
|PageType||Fundraiser, Team or Collection||The type of page being created.|
|TargetAmount||A valid number (no commas, use period for decimal places)||Optional. The fundraising target amount to be set on the page.|
|EmailAddress||A valid email address.||Optional. The email address that will have access to manage the page.|
|LinkedTeam||A valid team name.||Optional. Valid only on PageType=Fundraiser entries, the name of the team to link the page to.|
|LinkedCollection||A valid collection name.||Optional. Valid only on PageType=Fundraiser or PageType=Team entries, the name of the collection to link the page to.|
Important things to keep in mind are:
- The only file type allowed is CSV. CSV files can be produced with Microsoft Excel and similar editors (by clicking "Save as..." and choosing CSV as the output). CSV files can also be edited in Notepad and other text editors.
- Files can contain a maximum of 500 lines (including the header line, so 499 records).
- Files can only be uploaded to one campaign at a time.
- To maximise compatibility, the system will automatically determine whether Unix/Mac/Windows style line endings are being used and adjust accordingly when processing the file.
- For the "LinkedTeam" and "LinkedCollection" columns, the system will find the first live record with a matching name. If no records are found, the page is created without an associated Team/Collection. If multiple records are found, the first one returned will be used.
- The system will try to read the "TargetAmount" column as a valid number, if not it will leave the page without a target.
- While it is possible to use the same email address to manage multiple pages, keep in mind a separate email will be sent per page to the address provided on each file entry, which may trigger spam filters to kick in.
- The file will be processed in the background, it may take a few minutes for the new pages to be seen and for the resulting email to be received.
Summary email and possible error messages
When the system finishes processing the file, it will generate an automated email summarising the results of the file and providing useful information and error messages if there were any issues processing the file.
The email provides:
- A counter for both the number of Team and Fundraiser records submitted and processed.
- A list of error messages (see table below).
- A list of successfully processed entries, alongside the URL to the newly created pages, for your convenience.
The system may encounter error messages when processing your file. The system divides the errors between file errors and line errors. A file error means that:
- The file cannot be opened or is corrupted, or
- The file is empty, or
- The file has only 1 line (the header line and thus no records), or
- The file has over 500 lines.
In cases like this, the summary email may look a bit different as the file couldn't be processed.
Line error messages and causes
Each line is processed separately, a file may have a number of lines properly processed and a number of them in error. Please check the summary email for a full report of what happened in each case.
|lineEmpty||The line couldn't be processed because it was empty.|
|invalidField1||The PageType field was not "Fundraiser" or "Team" or "Collection". (Our system uses a zero-based index, thus the "1" in the name)|
|invalidSyntax||The line had an invalid syntax that could not be parsed.|
Our system continues to improve and any changes made to this functionality will be reflected here. If you encounter any issues with the bulk upload functionality or this article, please contact email@example.com.